I found this gem on a website called She Is More.
It is fabulous advice that I wish more girls of all ages – not just teens, would know and follow.
Definitely share this post with your girlfriends!
21 Lost Lady Traditions That Still Apply Today
Acting like a lady is carrying yourself with dignity, which also empowers a man to be a gentleman.
Many of us want a true gentleman, but I believe we hold the power to the way we are treated in our hands. It’s the law of attraction and common sense: If we want a gentleman, we must be and act like a lady.
In all areas of life, I believe being a lady displays self-respect, class, appreciation and etiquette. It also allows you to enjoy the niceties of life with the ease of knowing how to act in all situations. You don’t have to come from wealth or be wealthy in order to conduct yourself like royalty.
After doing some new research and also recalling my southern roots which included cotillion and etiquette classes, here are 21 lost lady like traditions that still apply today:
1. If a man knows that it is etiquette to remain standing until you are seated, be sure to sit promptly as to not leave him standing too long.
2. No rude or shocking language, especially at the table. Your language is a representation of your mind and heart.
3. Don’t talk with your mouth full. I don’t need to explain this one.
4. She dresses tastefully: A lady dresses appropriately for the occasion.
5. Phone calls: When in doubt, a good rule of thumb is not to make phone calls before 9 am or after 9 pm.
6. She is gracious: She never just says, “hello” when being introduced to someone. She offers a kind greeting like, “it’s a pleasure to meet you” or “how are you this evening?”
7. She turns her phone on silent and puts it away for meals, meetings and church.
8. She says, “yes, please” or “no, thank you.” She does not say, “yep” or “nope.”
9. She gives compliments with sincerity and only when she means it. She does not say things just to say them. Insincerity is easier to read than we think.
10. A lady offers to help someone in need. Being a lady starts with how you treat yourself and others. She offers her seat to the elderly, disabled or a parent with small children.
11. She RSVPs promptly, reads an invitation thoroughly and does not ask for exceptions. She always promptly sends a detailed thank you note to anyone who has shown her hospitality.
12. She never arrives empty handed. Bringing a small hostess gift shows your appreciation for the preparation your host has done.
13. Her word is her bond. A lady warrants a respectable reputation purely by the consistency of her word. She always keeps her promises.
The Dating Lady:
14. Don’t call him, he’ll call you. A lady knows that she deserves to be pursued and does not do it or him. If you are in the position that you have to initiate contact in order to communicate, then you should know that you are not dealing with a gentleman and can move on.
15. Time frame: no one gets to call you on a whim to hang out. Your time is precious and valuable and you are clearly booked days in advance. Someone who honors your time will plan ahead and ask to take you out with at least a 48 hour request.
16. You don’t meet a guy anywhere. He comes and picks you up, especially on the first date. It can be inconvenient, but is it your job to make dating you convenient? No. The last thing you want to be is convenient. However if you are meeting someone in person for the first time, meeting in a neutral location is a smart, safe move. Always honor your intuition.
17. Curfew: Mama always said nothing good happens past 10 o’ clock and she’s pretty much right. So set the time you need to be home in advance and let your gentleman know about it ahead of time.
18. Appreciation: Being a lady and acting lady-like does not mean that you are entitled or snobby. Practice having a heart of gratitude and always say thank you for specific actions or generosities.
19. How to order: Have respect for your gentleman and do not behave with entitlement by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. If he wants to treat you to a fine bottle of wine, he can order it or offer for you to make a selection.
20. Be a good listener and conversationalist. Put your phone away and be present. A lady is not boring, rude or dismissive.
21. Be prepared. If you are going out with a gentleman, he will cover your date. However, you should always be prepared to pay if the date does not go well or he forgets his wallet. The gentleman version of this article on GoodGuySwag.com says,
“An English gentleman never split the meal with his date. The English used the term “go dutch” in “derisive application,” as they stereotyped the Dutch as being cheap, or “stingy.” Today, the gentleman always picks up the tab, especially on the first date, and with no expectations.”
30 Characteristics of a Modern Lady explains that ultimately etiquette is the natural byproduct that flows through a lady’s character. These traditions are mostly common- sense that simply allow you and others to enjoy life more.
If this article intrigued you, please share to inspire others.
Related Post: 30 Important Things Every Girl Should Know
A reader just commented with another important point:
22. Sit like a lady. When sitting, your legs if not together, should not be so far apart that others can see your nether regions. You cannot expect to be treated with respect by others if you are treating yourself disrespectfully.