Acting like a lady is carrying yourself with dignity, which also empowers a man to be a gentleman.
Many of us want a true gentleman, but I believe we hold the power to the way we are treated in our hands. It’s the law of attraction and common sense: If we want a gentleman, we must be and act like a lady.
In all areas of life, I believe being a lady displays self-respect, class, appreciation and etiquette. It also allows you to enjoy the niceties of life with the ease of knowing how to act in all situations. You don’t have to come from wealth or be wealthy in order to conduct yourself like royalty.
After doing some new research and also recalling my southern roots which included cotillion and etiquette classes, here are 21 lost lady like traditions that still apply today:
1. If a man knows that it is etiquette to remain standing until you are seated, be sure to sit promptly as to not leave him standing too long.
2. No rude or shocking language, especially at the table. Your language is a representation of your mind and heart.
3. Don’t talk with your mouth full. I don’t need to explain this one.
4. She dresses tastefully: A lady dresses appropriately for the occasion.
5. Phone calls: When in doubt, a good rule of thumb is not to make phone calls before 9 am or after 9 pm.
6. She is gracious: She never just says, “hello” when being introduced to someone. She offers a kind greeting like, “it’s a pleasure to meet you” or “how are you this evening?”
7. She turns her phone on silent and puts it away for meals, meetings and church.
8. She says, “yes, please” or “no, thank you.” She does not say, “yep” or “nope.”
9. She gives compliments with sincerity and only when she means it. She does not say things just to say them. Insincerity is easier to read than we think.
10. A lady offers to help someone in need. Being a lady starts with how you treat yourself and others. She offers her seat to the elderly, disabled or a parent with small children.
11. She RSVPs promptly, reads an invitation thoroughly and does not ask for exceptions. She always promptly sends a detailed thank you note to anyone who has shown her hospitality.
12. She never arrives empty handed. Bringing a small hostess gift shows your appreciation for the preparation your host has done.
13. Her word is her bond. A lady warrants a respectable reputation purely by the consistency of her word. She always keeps her promises.
The Dating Lady:
14. Don’t call him, he’ll call you. A lady knows that she deserves to be pursued and does not do it or him. If you are in the position that you have to initiate contact in order to communicate, then you should know that you are not dealing with a gentleman and can move on.
15. Time frame: no one gets to call you on a whim to hang out. Your time is precious and valuable and you are clearly booked days in advance. Someone who honors your time will plan ahead and ask to take you out with at least a 48 hour request.
16. You don’t meet a guy anywhere. He comes and picks you up, especially on the first date. It can be inconvenient, but is it your job to make dating you convenient? No. The last thing you want to be is convenient. However if you are meeting someone in person for the first time, meeting in a neutral location is a smart, safe move. Always honor your intuition.
17. Curfew: Mama always said nothing good happens past 10 o’ clock and she’s pretty much right. So set the time you need to be home in advance and let your gentleman know about it ahead of time.
18. Appreciation: Being a lady and acting lady-like does not mean that you are entitled or snobby. Practice having a heart of gratitude and always say thank you for specific actions or generosities.
19. How to order: Have respect for your gentleman and do not behave with entitlement by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. If he wants to treat you to a fine bottle of wine, he can order it or offer for you to make a selection.
20. Be a good listener and conversationalist. Put your phone away and be present. A lady is not boring, rude or dismissive.
21. Be prepared. If you are going out with a gentleman, he will cover your date. However, you should always be prepared to pay if the date does not go well or he forgets his wallet. The gentleman version of this article on GoodGuySwag.com says,
“An English gentleman never split the meal with his date. The English used the term “go dutch” in “derisive application,” as they stereotyped the Dutch as being cheap, or “stingy.” Today, the gentleman always picks up the tab, especially on the first date, and with no expectations.”
30 Characteristics of a Modern Lady explains that ultimately etiquette is the natural byproduct that flows through a lady’s character. These traditions are mostly common- sense that simply allow you and others to enjoy life more.
If this article intrigued you, please share to inspire others.
A reader just commented with another important point:
22. Sit like a lady. When sitting, your legs if not together, should not be so far apart that others can see your nether regions. You cannot expect to be treated with respect by others if you are treating yourself disrespectfully.
Have you ever noticed that if you wake up late, race to get out the door on time, start your day frazzled and frantic, the whole day seems to go downhill at the speed of light?
I’m borderline phobic about being late for anything, so to avoid starting my day out with an I’m-running-late stress-bomb I started working out ways to make my morning flow nicely. The more steps I added in, the better my entire day became. I found myself happier, more productive and more relaxed all day.
10 Steps To Make Sure You Have A Happy And Productive Day.
1. Go To Bed Early. Well, I would love to get to bed early, but that pretty much never happens, so I focus on getting to bed a half hour earlier than usual. Sometimes its only 15 minutes earlier, but every little bit counts.
2. Plan Tomorrow’s Outfit Tonight. Lay out tomorrow’s clothes before you go to bed, or at least think them out. Mornings move more smoothly when your wardrobe is at least mentally sorted ahead of time.
3. Wake With Gratitude. Get into the habit of starting your day by acknowledging 10 things you are grateful for. Think them out before you get out of bed. If you start your day with gratitude you will automatically be happy. There’s magic in this madness too – the more you tell the Universe you are grateful for, the more things it will give you to be grateful for.
4. Stretch. Whether you do sun salutations or just simple stretches, your body, your mind and your soul will love you for it.
5. No Screens For 30 Minutes. There was a time when I would automatically click on CNN and start scrolling through emails as soon as I woke up. Now I have a no screens policy. When you don’t have news hysteria hijacking your brain, and you wait 30 minutes before even considering opening email, your mind can ease into your day. I used to think that I needed to be informed and know what was happening in the world, but then I realized that CNN doesn’t give you world news anyway, and they just regurgitate the same stories over and over for the first few hours of the morning, so you won’t be missing anything if you wait 30 minutes.
6. Play Music. With news television out of the way, start your day with beautiful music. Or invigorating music. Something happy and inspiring to lift you up.
7. Drink Water Before Coffee. Start your day with a large glass of cold water infused with lemons. Lemon water is good for your skin, good for your immune system, detoxes your liver, relieves stress and much more.
start your day with lemon water
8. Exercise. (if you can) Anytime that I can exercise in the early morning I feel fantastic all day. As a makeup artist I have so many super early starts to the day that I hardly ever get to work out as early as I would like. Even doing just 10 minutes of yoga will lift your spirits, but if you can get outside and run or bike or power walk, mother nature will lift you even more.
9. Live With Intention. While you are getting ready visualize the day ahead, seeing everything going the way you want it to. Over time you will find that instead of worrying about deadlines and meetings, reviews and potential problems, your brain will automatically plug into the most positive potential outcome. Not only will you walk taller and with more confidence, but instead of worrying about what might go wrong your mind will move to problem solving mode, priming you for success.
10. Make Today Count. I love this quote from Steve Jobs’ famous commencement speech at Stanford in 2005. If it was my last day in the world I would spend it traveling somewhere fabulous with those I love most…
For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Have yourself a happy and productive day my friends. xo
And who better to pair it with than sex-bomb Christina Hendricks?
I’m pretty certain most men would have a very hard time resisting her…
The 6 Physical Features That Men Can’t Resist
We all know that every time a man gives us the once-over, he’s probably thinking about sex. But now, science can explain why men are constantly checking us out. Turns out, there’s a specific formula for their once-over. Some of it’s silly, but most of it you can easily nail. According to Business Insider, every time a man checks out a woman, he’s performing a reproductive fitness assessment. Men were designed to look for key features in women. These features make women attractive because they are associated with good health and fertility. When men notice these features, they are subconsciously thinking, she could have my babies! Making them subconsciously, or very consciously, attracted to you.
Science has proven men to be attracted to women with these 6 features. According to the data, here’s what it takes to be “attractive:”
A Wider Waist to Hips Ratio.
A ratio of 7:10 is particularly pleasing, apparently. The waist and hips are related to childbirth, making men think, those big hips would be great for delivering my baby! This one’s pretty obvious– men like small waists and big butts. I guess that would explain why waist-trainers and the Kardashians are trending.
A High Voice.
According to a study cited in the video, a high-pitched voice evokes youthfulness and signifies a small, feminine body, both of which are attractive to men. Let’s just say our high-pitched shrieks at the scandalous happenings on the Real Housewives is a sign of evolution at work.
Shiny, full, and long hair is very attractive. Again, it’s a sign of health and fertility. And thankfully, very fake-able with regular salon visits and blowouts. Remember, it’s for the future of the human race.
Well obviously, happy people are attractive people. But science has also proven the whiter the teeth, the better.
You may think that contouring, layers of eye shadow, and bold lips are making you more beautiful, but it turns out, the natural look is more appealing to men. The video says that men prefer women who use up to 40% fewer cosmetics. But it shouldn’t take science to tell you that the natural you, is the best you.
There’s a reason red is associated with lust. Scientists have proven that wearing red enhances attraction. In fact, they’ve found this phenomenon to hold true in other animals as well. Note to self: dry clean red dress for Saturday date night.This all said, there’s plenty of counter research that men are just happy to be getting laid at all. One thing’s for sure– they’re lucky to have us, just the way we are.